Small, large, full nest, empty nest, foster, adopted, it doesn’t matter. Families are the first social experiences for us. We learned to relate to others, develop our character, our adult foundation begins. For some of us, that start was wobbly at best. For others, it became our foundation. Now it’s our turn to train up our children to be godly adults. Beginning with 25 Prayers for Your Children, I have real-world suggestions for all stages of raising children.
My husband and I began homeschooling in 1981 and two weeks later were handed a leader’s hat. Through failures and successes, I learned real-life homeschooling. Although our youngest child graduated in 2000, we didn’t leave the homeschool community. I share practical ideas for teaching your children in the way God leads you.
Our family has found it practical to ready for any unexpected situation. Two years into our homeschooling adventure, my husband lost his job. It was another two years before he found full-time work. We lived in California at the time and were always ready in case of an earthquake. We found those preparations helped us maintain our homeschool and our sanity.
Being ready for those unexpected situations is practical and important. It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money, you don’t need an underground bunker full of MREs, or a hidden mountain hideout.
I serve God and others by offering real-world solutions based on my real-world experiences. I strive to be open, honest, and practical to inspire others to move forward.
Random Factoids About Me
- I went to fourteen different schools, including 3 high schools, before graduating.
- I was eight months pregnant with my second child when I waddled on the stage to receive my college diploma.
- I have three pencil drawings from the Civil War era, including a portrait of General Sherdian. My great-grandfather drew them.
- I love doing research. I was the kid who got excited about doing a term paper.
- I trained to dance in the San Francisco Children’s Ballet.
- I am a Jesus lover.
- I’m a chronic planner. My children say I plan spontaneous activities.
- I was raised in California urban areas (i.e. San Francisco Bay Area) and love living on my rural acreage in Texas with three dogs, three cats, five chickens, and a couple of donkeys. (Oh yeah, and a husband.)
- I have three incredible and successful children and six of the smartest, cutest, and best grandchildren – ever.
- I love to travel by train.
- I began my writing career with a neighborhood newspaper, which I wrote and copied by hand, generally with a pencil because I make so many mistakes.
- I ran for a local elective office. That’s off my bucket list.
- I’m an introvert, but I love sharing practical ideas as a speaker.
- Christian Proofreaders and Editors Network
- E-book Formatting for Editors 101 (teacher)
- Self-Publishing for Editors 101 (teacher)
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI)
- NAMI Family-to-Family teacher
- family support group facilitator
- Christian Home Educators Association of California (CHEA)
- Charter Member
- Certified Parent Educator Certificate (CPEC) teacher
- Advanced Writers and Speakers Association
- 2016 Silver Scroll Nonfiction Award winner
- Nonfiction Writers Association
- The Writers View (TWV) (assistant administrator)
- CLASS graduate, 2004
- CHEA of CA Conventions, Bay Area and Annual (multiple years)
- California Homeschool Network Conference, 2007
- Home Schoolers of California Expo (Multiple years)
- How To Homeschool Online Conference (2012)
- Ultimate Homeschool Expo (2011)
- Writers of Kern (multiple years)
- Muse Online Writer’s Conference (multiple years)
- Catholic Writers Online Conference (multiple years)
- Christian Proofreaders and Editors Network Convention (PENCON) (multiple years)
- DFWCon (2018)
- Mount Hermon Christian Writers Conference (multiple years)
- SoCal Christian Writers Conference (multiple years, director-2020)
- 2:1 Conference (2018)